Math 151a Grading Policies, Fall 2014
Your course grade will be based on the sum of your scores on
The maximum total score possible for the course is 400 points.
The point cutoffs for course grades will be no higher (and might be
a bit lower) than those set forth in the following table:
| your Midterm exam (maximum of 100 points)
your Final Exam (maximum of 200 points)
your five best homework scores (maximum of 20 points each)
|| 100 points (about 25%) |
200 points (about 50%)
100 points (about 25%)
360 points (90%) for a grade of A-
Pluses and minuses might be awarded to those whose point total is close
to a cutoff. Anyone whose final exam grade is above the next highest
course grade cutoff will be advanced over that cutoff if they are
within 10 points of it. Qualitative factors such as your class
participation might also be taken into account when determining your
course grade. Almost all students will be given a course grade that
is within one letter grade of their final exam grade. No one will be
given a course grade that differs from their final exam grade by more
than two letter grades.
320 points (80%) for a grade of B-
280 points (70%) for a grade of C-
240 points (60%) for a grade of D-
The course grade of I will be awarded only if all the following
conditions are met:
- You have completed all but a small portion of the required work.
- You have an average grade of C or better on the work completed.
- You have a valid reason for not completing the course on time.
- You agree to make up the material within a short period of time.
- You request the incomplete no later than the day after the final exam.